September guarantee support options for schools
From September 2013 students in Year 12 will be expected to participate in education, training or employment with training up until the end of the academic year in which they turn 17.
Therefore this year the September Guarantee of an offer of a place in education, training or employment with training has greater significance. To support schools and students the following organisations can offer support in accessing participation from September 2013 for those students in Years 11 and 12 at present:
- Medway Youth Trust – provide support for those students at risk of becoming Not in Employment, Education or Training (NEET) and also offer progression opportunities via courses including the Prince’s Trust Team Programme.
- Youth Contract – Mentoring and Support for students who become NEET and will get no more than 1 GCSE A*-C or have been in care or are leaving custody
Referrals can be made through Medway Youth Trust. Talk to your local MYT contact.
- FE Colleges – there are a number of Kent and Medway-based FE Colleges which provide a wide range of vocational courses at different levels to suit each individual learner. They also offer a local ‘job shop’ with current available apprenticeships vacancies and part-time employment opportunities.
Use UCAS Progress to find an offer from a Further Education College.
- National Career Service – provide online / telephone support for individuals.
- Kent Association of Training Organisations (KATO) – provide links to work based training organisations who deliver Traineeships, Apprenticeships and Study Programmes.
- Go to Your Choice in Medway for the area prospectus